Sunday 8 February 2015

February 8th 1915: To a Sister (soon after arrival in base camp)

My Dear Maisie

There are many years when I have forgotten your birthday, February 8th, but perhaps never when I have had a better excuse.

Well, we are up here with our regiment, and are going up tonight into the trenches for forty eight hours, taking turn and turn about with the other regiments of the Brigade. In a week's time from now we will be back again. In a week's time from now we will be back again well behind for a week's rest and the other Brigade will take our place.

When we got here we round everyone in the best of spirits, and no wonder, for the regiment has done real good work, captured Maxim guns, prisoners and pushed on 400 yards; in fact, we have handed back to the Grenadiers a little more than they lost about a fortnight ago.

Most of last evening I was reading and censoring the men's letters. One and all say, 'The kicks have only just started.' One phrase sticks in my mind, 'When I come to your doorstep I will be surprising you with all the learning I have made by seeing so much of the world.'

The Brigadier is tired of complimenting us. In one small attack we lost heavily in No. 4 Company; two officers killed, two wounded, and one with nerves - i.e. all their officers. It is called the 'Unlucky company' and now I am in it. One other officer was killed in the day attack.

The place seems to be about the most important place in our lines; we are holding our position, as we are on a salient and expect to be counter-attacked heavily.

However, we have now wired ourselves in, and what we haven't wired we will have to wire and dig other portions of the line out tonight. In our old position we were never more than a hundred yards away from the Germans, and in one place - literally around a corner - five yards away, and yet the officers came out safely. Most of the fighting is in brickfields. I am writing a long, continued account to Mother,  as time goes on, and it should get round to you in time.

I have to pay twenty francs for mess a week; we get the soldiers rations, and these are supplemented by what is sent out from home. Everything is common property. What we like best are ...

Good-bye old girl. I hope you have seen more of ...

I am, so far, thoroughly looking forward to tonight.

Your loving brother

TOM

No comments:

Post a Comment