Tuesday 24 February 2015

February 24th: in billets, a letter to his mother

My Dear Mother

We are back again for rest, and I am finding the life easier and can get sleep in the trenches. It is lucky to be warm-blooded, as I rarely feel the cold, though there have been frosts. But one night where we entered the trenches and found them up to our knees in water, and we didn't look like getting them dry from 8 to 1 a.m., I nearly cried from pain in my feet. Then we got a fire, and took off, against orders, our boots and many pairs of socks and burnt them both - !!!! - in fact, in the morning I couldn't get m boots on, and these my best pair too, but I hope I have made them wearable now.

A mild flutter. The Prince of Wales has just arrived, and is looking around, probably for the men with latest honours. We are not staying here overlong now, though I can't say when. I have not had any food parcels yet; so far I have been feeding on other officers' goods. I have had tobacco and cigarettes from Reddie, a useful parcel of small things from D., and a great tin of ham from someone unknown.

That little book ' War Manual of Prayers' I find very useful.

Our doings are chronicled in 'Eye-Witness' report (Times) and in 'News of the World', Sunday, February 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment