Sunday 22 February 2015

February 22nd: in the trenches at Cuinchy

To Mrs. Deason, Stratford:-

In the trenches (Cuinchy)

I think something must have happened at the mission, in that I haven't had the Magazine nor any tracts from you. At the same time, many silver pieces are burning in my pocket wanting to buy your tickets, though my feet are about as cold as they can be. But I don't want to grouse, for, except for Mission news, I get all I can digest. I would like the monthly Magazine so that I don't get out of touch with things.

Sundays are the same as other days in the trenches, and out, but the R.C.'s are well looked after, as we have a R.C. priest. It is a real good game this, and I am as happy in my dug-out as I ever was within the walls of Martin Street. We are all pleased with our latest doings, having 1 V.C., 2 D.C.M., 2 D.S.O., and two mentioned in despatches. The man who won the VC was a private at the beginning of the War.

Most of our scouting is done by men, who get all their good information by going about the country disguised as animals.

Remember me to ... and any others that treat me as a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment