Friday 27 February 2015

February 27th 1915: War Office Telegram, letters from Tom's commanding officers

His mother writes:

"One was aware of the extreme danger to young Officers, of the risks innumerable, but none the less the War Office telegram came on Sunday, February 28th, with an awful suddenness. It contained those words which were becoming so sadly familiar to fathers and mothers and wives in every rank of life."

"And then came the never failing Royal message of sympathy."

"The King and Queen deply regret the loss you and the Army have sustained by the death of your son in the service of his country. Their Majesties truly sympathise."

*     *     *

Major Trefusis and Captain Young wrote to tell how he died.

1st Battalion Irish Guards
February 27th 1915

"DEAR MRS ALLEN
It is with my deepest sympathy that I have to write and tell you of your son's death. The circumstances under which he met his death were as follows:- He was looking with a periscope over the parapet of a new trench which had been dug the night before, in order to see if he could discover the whereabouts of German gun which had been bothering us, and generally what was in front of him.

A shell came and landed about fifty yards in front of him, and then another which pitched on the parapet and killed him intantaneously. Although he had been with us only a comparatively short time he was picking up his work very quickly, and was a valuable officer. He lies buried in a small cemetary at Cuinchy, where three other of his brother officers are next to him. I have had his grave photographed and I will send you a copy as soon as I get one.

I should like one more to express to you my deep sympathy in your loss, but I hope it may be some consolation to you to feel that he died a gallant soldiers death.

Yours sincerely

J. F. TREFUSIS, Major

Commanding 1st Batt. Irish Guards."



Irish Guards
4th Guards Brigade
2nd Division
Expeditionary Force
February 27th 1915

"DEAR MRS ALLEN

I am taking the liberty of sending you a line to tell you of your son's death. He was in my Company, came out with me, and we were billeted together in Bœuvry.

We were in the firing trenches, and during the night of the 25th had built a barricade across the La Basseé road. About 9 a.m. next morning, I imagine he went down the trench to the barricade to see how the fire positions looked by daylight, and apparently he was looking down the road with his periscope when a shell burst right over him. Death must have been instantaneous.

He has been buried at the little cemetery at Cuinchy where many of his comrades lie. His effects will be sent to you in due course. I think the Ajutant sees after them, as they are now in his hands. I need hardly say how grieved we all are. He was such a brave man, always cheery, and did his work very keenly and thoroughly. He took a very keen interest in his men, knew most of their personal histories, and they were devoted to him.

I hope you will not think it impertinent of me to add, what of course you know, that he was one of those really good men who are always ready to face their Maker.

I say this because I know by experience that mothers sometimes like an outside appreciation of what they know their sons to be.

We are all so sorry for you.

Yours very truly

G.E.S. Young
Captain."


No comments:

Post a Comment